Thursday, July 3, 2014

Auto Hobby

Everyone should have a hobby. It’s too easy to be busy. It can be hard sometimes to just make time for something that you enjoy doing. But I think it’s important for people to spend some time doing something that lifts them up and motivates them to keep trudging through the rest of it.

My personal hobby happens to be a little more expensive than normal. I don’t play sports very often. I’m not a great artist. I haven’t bought a new video game in close to a decade. But I love cars. Back home in Michigan, everyone I knew seemed to work for the auto-industry, including my dad. Cars were the center of everyone’s conversation. Auto-shows were more exciting than movie theaters.

I’m not a mechanic, by any means, but bit by bit I’m trying to learn about how cars work so I can try my hand at restoring a classic someday. Hopefully that day will come sooner, rather than later. But for now my project is a ’94 Mazda Miata I bought in March. It’s a salvage title. It had faded, uneven paint, made funny noises, leaked fluids, had holes in the top and generally didn’t inspire much confidence. After lots of time and investment, it’s looking and sounding great. I’m spending the rest of the summer enjoying the results.

Whatever it is you enjoy, find time for it. Life is too short not to enjoy it while we’re here.

What's one of your hobbies? How has it helped you to be a happier person? Please share by commenting below. This post was written by Chase C., a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 

No comments:

Post a Comment